[wp-hackers] Developer Portal

Rhonda Johnson rhonda1964 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 08:30:31 UTC 2009

> What are the skills this potential future WordPress developer can begin to
> > develop?  (I’m not a 14-year-old high school student, I just believe that
> > targeting the list of prerequisites towards a computer
> > savvy 14-year-old budding future WordPress developer is more likely to
> > inspiring a complete list of prerequisite skills than asking you to
> target
> > the list to people who are already skilled developers.)
> >

> I, on the other hand, am 16, and I've been working with WordPress since
> I was 14. I had fairly good knowledge of PHP at that point, and I
> basically learnt by diving into existing plugins, themes, and into the
> core itself. I found it wasn't too hard.

OMG, I guess my target audience example really backfired on me.  I should
have realized that there would be a 16 year old hacker here who cut his baby
teeth on PHP.
But you are right, Ryan, it's not that hard.  That is more or less my point.
 I don't really need, want or expect the WP community to hold my hand and
teach me everything I need to know but a nice list of tasks to master to be
able to accomplish certain goals, now that's what I really need.

You know what's ironic, Ryan?  I've been using computers since long before
you were born.  One of my very first real jobs was setting up a data base
for a crap load of data that had been collected over a very long period of
time about a wide variety of subjects.  My training consisted of being
handed a list of commands, several typed pages of commands.  Maybe one line
of text explaining what each command meant.  This was long before Windows
and it was pre relational db when I first started.  I was able to figure it
out much faster and easier than I am getting WordPress.  But I will
get WordPress.  I am getting WordPress.

My goal is not necessarily to become a developer, I want to be a competent
publisher.  I am attracted to WordPress because it is a Data Management
System.  I know y'all call it a CMS but from my POV it's a DMS.  My goal is
to master WordPress to the point where I can competently publish and manage
data on the internet.  Furthermore I want to be able to ask intelligent
questions and I want to have enough background information to understand the
answers.  I just need sort of a map to follow to learn all the different
parts and pieces of information I need to know to accomplish my goals.

Nice meeting you Ryan.

http://everything-south-padre-island.com