[wp-hackers] Proposing WP Flavours (various WordPress forks)

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Thu Dec 17 16:46:27 UTC 2009

Holamigos,

Instigated in part by recent discussion on ticket 5066[1], I think the
time has come to create a few WordPress forks. I'm imagining a set of
patches applied against core rolled into a tgz. I can see a few initial
* Strip out all the update checking stuff
* Anonymize update checking
* Security focused patches
* Remove post revisions, etc...

I'm sure other people will have their own particular choices.
Personally, I'd like to see a tin foil flavour of WordPress with ultra
conservative privacy settings. :-)

Rather than create a single fork, I propose to create wpflavours (or
maybe wpflavors), a project to provide the means to maintain multiple
WordPress flavours. I'm seeing an svn repo, patches (maybe using
quilt[2]) and a mailing list.

I've started a discussion[3]. If you're interested in contributing, let
me know. I'll most likely only proceed if there is sufficient interest
in maintaining patch sets.

Warmly - Callum.

[1] http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5066
[2] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt