[wp-hackers] Revisiting phone home and privacy

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Dec 11 05:02:41 UTC 2009

On Dec 10, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Lynne Pope wrote:

> Regardless, plugins do not address the problem of WordPress sending data
> without users being (a) aware of what is sent and (b) opting in.

To my understanding , the only things really necessary to check for updates is an array of the plugins to be checked, and some sort of unique site identifier.  So use a hashed URL for the identifier and we should be fine, Yes?

With opt in, we can include all the other stuff that is now gathered.

Stephen