[wp-hackers] Revisiting phone home and privacy

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Dec 9 18:39:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, hey look: my memory is even worse than I thought! A ticket exists,
> it was submitted by me(!) and closed by Matt two years ago:
>
> http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5066

Notice what he said though: "let's just close it until there are
compelling new arguments".

That's basically what I'm looking for here. What is a legitimate,
real-world, argument to provide such an option?

To put it another way: Would you use such a privacy option? Why would
you use it? What rationale can you provide that isn't mere paranoia,
but is actually a reasonable and logical reason for not giving
somebody the info described previously?

-Otto