[wp-hackers] Revisiting phone home and privacy

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Dec 9 18:21:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> I made it very clear: the opt-out/disclosure needs to be
> INTRA-WordPress. Last I checked, a copy of the Codex wasn't included
> in every download of WP's source.

I'm pretty sure I said "well written documents tend to get used all
sorts of places".

It obviously cannot be in the main line of WordPress until somebody
actually sits down and writes it. And you're more likely to get it
included if you go to trac and say "here's some text I think we should
include" instead of "I think somebody write this down and put it in".
Core commiters have to have something to commit.

> There is no opt-out. There's an extension to WordPress' functionality
> provided by a third party, but there is NO opt-out provided by the
> core.

An opt-out via plugin is still an opt-out. The inherent functionality
doesn't change by adding a checkbox to the core code.

> There are
> those that for legal, procedural or even just plain paranoid reasons
> find the submission of information without their knowledge or consent
> to be abhorrent. (See: Beacon, The Facebook)

Can you please give some of those reasons? (Ignore the paranoid ones,
I don't think WP should cater to paranoia.)

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States