[wp-hackers] Some Left-Field names for Canonical Plugins

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:45:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:

> In each of these cases, the use profile for the plugins is ever-so-slightly
> tangential to main line blogging and thus would merely contribute code bloat
> and interface cluttering were they to be added to core, at least for users
> that don't Twitter, plan events or publish a podcast.

Replying to myself here, but I think someone could validly ask "Is there a
definition for a plugin that would make it automatically eligible for
Canonical status?", at which point we could set thresholds for star ratings,
number of repetitive plugins in the repo, etc. I personally would be against
setting metrics.

I think the actual best case is far more useful but far more frustrating --
let's call it the Justice-Potter-Stewart-on-pr0n Principle*: "I can't define
a canonical plugin, but I sure know one when I see one (and brother, your
Etsy shopping cart app ain't one"**).

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter_Stewart#cite_note-oyez_stewart-8
** Nothing against the lovely, fair and stupendously talented*** folks that
use Etsy, it's just an example of a niche use case...
*** (Note: anyone appearing on Regretsy is most likely not lovely, fair,
and/or stupendously talented.)
--
-Doug
@zamoose