[wp-hackers] Some Left-Field names for Canonical Plugins

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Dec 8 08:11:38 UTC 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 2:46 AM, Pete Mall wrote:
> I've been working on a Twitter API and Google Data Protocol WordPress Client
> Library using WP_Http. It'll take care of the authentication and data
> transfer and would be easily extensible. A plugin writer would be able to
> use these libraries instead of re-inventing the wheel. If anyone is
> interested in contributing to these projects, please reply directly to me.

Thanks Pete,  Perfect example of what I was discussing!

So I'll ask others here, are these types of things appropriate or not appropriate to add to the core?  My guess is that most people on the list will chorus "that doesn't belong in the core!"  That's not my opinion, but am I wrong?

From my perspective it would be much better if there could be one API for plugins to program for these types of things instead of many, especially if there is a need for shared data or layering of functionality.  However, such functionality is a no-mans land for WordPress and it advancement is thus stunted; said functionality doesn't fit in the core by most people's account, "market forces" don't foster its standardized across many plugins and there is nowhere else for it to go.

To solve this?  One of:

1.) Start allowing this kind of stuff into the core,
2.) Support this kind of thing in the new canonical plugins, or
3.) Add a 3rd entity, like canonical plugins in that they would be an official list without duplication but for APIs instead of end user functionality.

-Mike