[wp-hackers] Revisiting phone home and privacy

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:15:28 UTC 2009

I know we hate adding more options and all... but would it really be a
terrible thing to add an option to the Settings->Privacy page that allowed
some flexibility with which data is sent to wordpress.org? Checkboxes (auto
ticked), so users could see exactly what's being sent and can choose if
they're comfortable with that.

This is a CORE 'feature' sending out data, therefore a CORE option is
needed; we shouldn't ask users to install a plugin to keep their own data
safe - regardless of our feelings on that particular data, anonymous or not.
Commercial desktop software which sends crash reports, for example, ALWAYS
asks if it can send that ANONYMOUS data.

Perhaps also on the first login after installation we could have an
alert/nag to ask if the admin wants to visit the privacy page and customise
what's sent?

Instead of US deciding what pieces of users data is sent, shouldn't we be
leaving that choice up to THEM? I'm sure it wouldn't take long for the
interested parties in this discussion to come up with a patch. Just my 2
cents though...

-- Alex  (Hempsworth)