[wp-hackers] The problem with WP_Rewrite <<< RE: Options for Controller - Views

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 3 22:27:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
>> Let me rephrase that: SQL is designed to be used by *business people*.
>> Not programmers.
>
> There you go again with your opinions as if they were "decried from on high."

a) That is not an opinion. It is historical fact. Look it up.
b) Please, try to read my actual words before judging them.

> In my experience, most "business people" will do whatever they can not to have to learn SQL.  A graphical query tool, yes, but not a text-based query language.

I never said that business people *liked* it.
I never said that it was even a good idea, or that it worked out.

Please, try to read my words and understand their meaning before
responding. I try to choose my phrasing very, very carefully, so when
you just come along, don't actually bother reading what I type, and
then respond to something that I DID NOT SAY, then it really irks me.

> Yes, it's my opinion but as such it is as equally valid as yours.

I stated no opinions in what you responded to.

> If there were not a small set of patterns for URL rewriting, your argument would make sense. As is, it does not.

There are not a small set of patterns. You can rewrite URLs in any way
you see fit. The set is unbounded.

> Besides, your small argument could be applied fallaciously to practically anything of complexity, i.e. the admin menu functions. It doesn't apply there any more than it applies here.

You may have noticed that there's dozens of functions specifically for
screwing around with admin menus. This "wrapping" seems pretty ill
advised and hard to use to me. Check out the Settings API and the
Adding Administration Menus pages on the codex.

> Simplification that removes the black art of regular expressions from the URL rewriting interface that most people will use makes the most sense.

Black art? Are you serious? How about wildcards, are they a black art?
Because it's no more complex than that.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States