[wp-hackers] Blog containing 5,00,000 posts. Slow Admin panel

Casey Bisson casey.bisson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 04:01:52 UTC 2009

Do you mean 5,000,000 or 500,000 posts?

Either way, your supposition in the forum post is probably reasonable:
sorting a large number of posts by datetime is problematic. If you can
tolerate it, you might do well to change the datetime fields to simple date.

A core patch to switch the posts table to use paired date and time columns
would be more efficient, but also a lot of work to develop.

I assume you've got caching of some sort running, otherwise you'd probably
also experience problems on the front end and everywhere else too.

So, what are you doing with 5,000,000 or 500,000 posts?

--Casey

http://maisonbisson.com/
http://about.scriblio.net/