[wp-hackers] One CMS to Rule Them All (was This was painful to read...)

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 00:28:37 UTC 2009

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Jared Bangs wrote:
>> If you believe (as I do) that "WordPress is not, and should not be,
>> all things to all people" (to quote Otto's first message in this
>> thread), then it's better to identify up front what it should be...
>

> So what would that be?
>
> Personally I like what's on WordPress.org:
>
> WordPress is a state-of-the-art publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability. WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
>
> Is that not correct?  Does anyone feel that should be changed?
>
> Based on that, I'd argue that custom post types and custom URLs are a must have for a "state-of-the-art publishing platform."  Is there a valid argument against that?
>
> Would I think WordPress is a good platform to build a new SAAS offering?  Not so much.
>
>> This thread isn't about particular features, it's about a mindset.
>> Specifically, one that sees a problem or project and says "how can I
>> handle this... with WordPress" rather than just "what's the best way
>> to handle this". It's my opinion that the former approach is overly
>> narrow, and CAN lead to the advocating of unnecessary core features in
>> order to support it.
>
> I'd propose another question: "Is there a solid reason WordPress cannot handle this?"
>
> WordPress brings along far more benefits than any other proposed alternative. Using something else leaves the user without those many benefits which to me is not a smart solution.
>
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Harish Narayanan wrote:
>>> That is the one risk of doing it that way. Writing code can take a while,
>>> and it would feel like a waste of time if it wasn't accepted.
>> Except, of course, it usually isn't a waste of time because you wrote
>> the code in the first place because it worked (on whatever level) for you!
>

> Point of note if the modification is to the core and it's not accepted it is a waste of time because no one in their right mind should deploy a modified version of the core if those mods are not going to get rolled into the core.  So it's only not a waste of time if the mods are in plugin or theme form.

And why is that?

I maintain a slew of small changes with respect to WordPress pristine
that makes it work more the way I want it to. I use this modified
version every day, while keeping up to date with the development
version. I haven't run into any problems because of working this way.

The reason these changes stay local to my machines is because they're
only useful for my purposes. And the reason they're modifications to
core is because because I'm too lazy to encapsulate everything into a
plugin when a few direct core hacks will get the job done in seconds.

Harish