[wp-hackers] One CMS to Rule Them All (was This was painful to read...)

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 23:31:51 UTC 2009

(Pushing this back onto the list.)

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Offlist: I'm not familiar with how to produce patches.
> Suggestions?

Yes, in short, this is what you do:

 1. Fetch the development version of WordPress from subversion.
 2. Make all the changes you want. Try to do this in small stages,
    tackling one problem at a time.
 3. Create a patch: svn diff > my-contribution.diff
 4. Create a suitable entry in WordPress trac and attach your patch to
    the entry.
 5. If you feel your patch is being ignored, bring it up in the mailing
    list and people will likely have a look at it.

For more instructions, please read the following page:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Subversion#Developer.27s_commands

> -Mike
> P.S. One of the problems with producing patches is they get ignored.  It's better to have agreement in advance before wasting time writing code that will never be used.

Perhaps so (which is why I gave you a step 5 above). But this is not
very likely if they are high-quality, useful and a lot of people tend to
like them.

All I was trying to say is the following. Rather than discussing ideas
repeatedly with people who disagree with you, show them why your
approach is better by providing a working implementation.

Show people how:

 1. Things things can be made more general with respect to URI structure
 2. WordPress can be moved more easily between domains if it had some
    added functionality
 3. They would benefit from rock-solid Twitter support in the WordPress
    core.
 4. Easy it is to maximise performance by minimising HTTP requests and
    concatenating things into a single CSS file.
 5. They would benefit from geotagging.
 6. Evil global-like variables are.

 ... and a multitude of other things.

None of these are bad ideas. Many of these are good ideas, and perhaps
they haven't been implemented because someone just hasn't done it.
Please try and help out.

It is usually easier to see something tangible than to discuss it in the
abstract.

Happy hacking,
Harish