[wp-hackers] Plugins Receiving Emails

Will Anderson wp-hackers at itsananderson.com
Sat Aug 22 18:57:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Alex Hempton-Smith <
hempsworth at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Will,
>
> I'll take a look. I'm guessing WP runs a cron to check for new mails every
> so often? I need replies to be accepted pretty much ASAP, so would I just
> have to run a cron every minute?!
>
> -- Alex  (Hempsworth)

I'm not 100% sure, but that'd be my guess. If you need to check every
minute, I'd suggest setting up a cron job on your server to request the
wp-cron.php file.
In cPanel you'd go in to the cron manager and create a new job with all *'s
(run every minute, hour, day...). And have the command be something like
"wget http://www.yoursite.com/wp-cron.php -o /dev/null" Alternatively you
might be able to execute it as a php script (untested) "php
/path/to/wp-cron.php > /dev/null".

If you don't have cPanel, but you have shell/root access, you can create a
"real" crontab to do the same thing. Just Google "Linux create crontab".

If you can't use either of these methods, wp-cron.php should also be
requested every time your website is loaded, which, depending on your level
of traffic, might be Ok.

Hope this helps!

--
Will Anderson