[wp-hackers] WPMU Category Table

Tim Schoffelman tim at silentgap.com
Fri Aug 14 06:56:09 UTC 2009

Thanks Jeremy - not a bad solution.
Also, here's a little more detail into my explanation / question. The
company I work for develops WP themes on a consistent basis, many on the
WPMU platform. We have our development box, our clients beta install and our
clients production install (all wpmu installs) - with all themes, plugins
and sys-files stored in SVN.

The problem we run into is when developing on our development box, the
database is quite a bit different than the beta and esp the production
database. Many times, in our themes we sort out our navigation based off of
category id's. Now, we've obviously had to work around this with MU and
instead do things like in_category / is_category and throw into the function
the name of the category (or something like that) w/ a little bit of logic
behind those functions to get the navigation right (details that vary from
theme to theme, just depending on what's going on for that specific theme) -
but it would be nice if, along with the (for example) wp_2_posts table,
there would be an equivalent wp_2_categories table, separating categories
out into a per blog basis. Has there been any mention of moving the DB
structure over to something like this?

If not, we'll continue just to use the category.php file and throw some
logic in to separate out the user experience, but thought I'd ask to find
out if we're missing something, as we've only been developing in WPMU for
the last few months (regular WP since the 2.3 days)

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!