[wp-hackers] Request for new mailing list wp-accessibility

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Tue Aug 11 14:51:05 UTC 2009

Hi David. The fact is that while we want WordPress developers to all
be cognizant of and dedicated to ensuring accessibility, not everyone
is an expert. Fobbing it off as the equivalent of standards-compliant
code is a copout, IMO, because I've seen chats between the four core
developers when the accessibility-recommended technique was different
than the standard accepted coding practice for something, and when you
work in the hacks needed to support multiple platform/browser
combinations, let's face it, nothing is simple.

The point of the list is not to further segment accessibility out of
the main development discussion, but to help get errors fixed more
promptly. With each release, there are a couple of volunteers who
review trunk and give us recommendations on what was missed. The
process for that is non-existent though, and generally involves me or
a core dev asking someone to review trunk, run it through a couple of
screen readers, etc. to find things for us to fix. Just as the wp-
testers list harnesses the QA power of a wide group of people without
asking each one individually to QA on a daily basis, so will the wp-
accessibility list harness the abilities of a wider contributing group
without placing undue burden on any.

By having a place for discussion, the accessibility-oriented minds
among us can review the app on an ongoing basis and identify things to
fix as they appear, rather than waiting until a release is almost
finished. Different approaches to the fix itself can be discussed,
leading to a better recommendation for implementation. I expect there
will still be accessibility discussions on the wp-hackers list on
occasion, but for focused accessibility problem solving, I think a
separate list is appropriate so that people who are interested in
accessibility but not so much in how to deal with database issues can
avoid an overflowing inbox of hackers emails. Those who are passionate
about both can just join both lists.
Jane