[wp-hackers] Meta tables: Take 5

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Wed Aug 5 21:23:28 UTC 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Peter Westwood wrote:

> Please don't use ENUM as it is a mysqlism
>
> We switched away from it [1] to make our DB schema more portable and
> to make it easier for people to write alternative database classes.

Just wanted to second this.  Please don't use ENUM for this.  I think
Otto (or Ozh) already pointed out that using ENUMs would reduce the
flexibility of the meta table dramatically by requiring ALTER TABLE
just to add a new meta type.

ALTER TABLE in MySQL on large tables will slow the DB server to a
crawl because it will rebuild the entire table.  Seems there was talk
of optimizing this case:

	http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?24,4775,4775

I think the flexibility factor is enough to avoid using ENUM.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org
http://josephscott.org/