[wp-hackers] Load Balancing | Media Uploads to Multiple Servers

Steve Pellham spellham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:52:23 UTC 2009

Very similar to what we are implementing... to be a bit more descriptive...
the remote DC can be used for LB (geo/weighted) and act as a complete
failover site in an extreme case where the main data center (comm circuit
redundancy unavailable in our small area) is completely cutoff from the
world (happened this past January!).

########## main datacenter ############
-main web server

-main db master
-- replicated slave0
-- replicated slave1
-- replicated slave2
...etc...

Adding this...
############ remote datacenter ##############
-remote web server (synced to main web server real-time via rsync, csync,
subversion for apps)

- remote master db (slave of  main db master)
-- remote slave0 (slave of remote master db)

Make sense?  Just remembered the Yoast post on using a CDN for content such
as images, etc...  I guess that could be what Eric suggested earlier... that
could be considered, but the same questions still apply: does the CDN being
used have a single?

I know there are no perfect solutions and no such thing as 100% uptime, but
I'm making a best effort.

great info -- SP