[wp-hackers] Multiple category boxes / tabs in the Admin Area

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Wed Apr 29 14:39:40 GMT 2009

Ah, that's quite different. The meta_box() function lets you add
separate boxes to the edit screen. If you want to modify a built-in
box, the code that creates that built-in box would need to have an
"action" hook call in it that would let plugins add to the box
(assuming you don't want to hack core).

It doesn't appear to me that the post_categories_meta_box() function
in wp-admin/edit-form-advanced.php has such a hook right now, but if
you file a bug on trac.wordpress.org with a patch that adds an action
hook call, you can probably get it added to 2.8 (the WP Powers that Be
are usually pretty receptive to these additions). Meanwhile, you can
hack core by adding just that one line to the file, which isn't quite
as bad as totally rewriting the function.

Good luck!
   --Jennifer

ps: I don't know how familiar you are with WP "action" hooks... the
line you would want to add to core WP is something like this:

do_action( 'post_categories_meta_box' );

And your plugin would have:

add_action( 'post_categories_meta_box', 'myplugin_myfunctionname' );
function myplugin_myfunctionname() {
    //print out your addition to the box
}

Anyway, you could try this out, and if it works, file a Trac bug to
get the do_action line added to core.

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com