[wp-hackers] "Appearance" vs. "Design"

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 22:45:32 GMT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> This has been itching the back of my head since the 2.7 redesign, and I
> thought it was worth mentioning to the list....
>
> In WordPress 2.7, we reorganized the Admin section menus.  For the most
> part, I think this was a good move -- the 2.7 redesign was, overall,
> excellent.  However, in the process of moving from "verb" menus to "noun"
> menus, we renamed "Design" to "Appearance".  I believe this was a mistake.
>  I believe we should revert to "Design".
>
> First, I'll get the obvious out of the way:  "Design" is both a noun and
> verb, and thus fits into the new style just fine.
>
> Second --  "Design" is a broader description that better encompasses the
> breath of items under it.  For example, Widgets are more than simply
> appearance -- they are pieces of information.  I would certainly say they
> constitute part of the design of the site, but less so (strictly speaking)
> the appearance.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Stephen

I agree that Appearance is not good, but it is my preference between
the two (Appearance in the sense of the external, visible aspect).

The word Design seems to me too much for what that part of WordPress is.

If I were to propose something new, I think Layout would be better.
(Blogger uses this.  Its corresponding tab is called Layout and it has
four sub-tabs: Page Elements, Fonts and Colors, Edit HTML, Pick New
Template.)

But I would not propose such a change for v2.8.  Too many things
change too fast in WordPress.  I think we should wait for the next
major redesign.

Cheers,

Demetris
http://op111.net/