[wp-hackers] slashes in custom field input

Rick Beckman rick.beckman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 10:48:02 GMT 2008

I'm attempting to use custom fields to handle post descriptions instead of
installing one of a thousand SEO plugins to do it, and while the theme
output mechanism was dead-simple for even a lightweight like me to put
together, I notice that whenever I add a custom field, the value that is
saved has slashes added to entities such as ", ', and &.

I'm already attribute_escape()ing the custom field output so that I can use
quotes and ampersands within it without it breaking my HTML.

It seems like WP should be stripping the slashes added by what I can only
assume is the Ajax mechanism for first adding the field to a post.
Subsquently editing and saving the value doesn't seem to add slashes
anymore.

Has anyone else noticed this?

--
Rick Beckman