[wp-hackers] Merge Tags

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 14 17:07:03 GMT 2008

Hi all,
Just thought I'd give the hackers a heads-up on a ticket I just posted for
merging tags.
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7740
Wondering what people think about the proposed functionality?

I was debating as to whether we give users the choice of which old slugs
still point to the new one, or if we just make the old ones automatically
point to the new tag.

Also, a nice touch would be to automatically populate the 'new primary tag'
with whichever old one had the most posts associated with it. If I was
merging tags A and B, and tag A was used in 10 posts, with tag B in 20, tag
B would automatically be suggested as the new tag. The suggested slug would
also reflect tag B.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

-- Alex