[wp-hackers] Plugin licenses

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Oct 25 13:18:06 GMT 2008

That's because it's not true at all, actually.

You can't assume licensing. If somebody releases a derivative work of
WP that is not licensed under the GPL, then they have violated the WP
license. However, only the copyright holders of WP have any standing
to do anything about it, nobody else can. It's not like anybody else
can then simply take the work and assume it's GPL'd.