AW: [wp-hackers] Update of non GPL-Plugins (was Plugin licenses)

Philip Hetjens Philip at Hetjens.eu
Fri Oct 24 10:36:50 GMT 2008

Because the focus has to be on the wordpress users?! And not on these plugin
authors.

I don't want, that wp.org promotes these plugins, but in my opinion wp.org
has to support the update process of these plugins, too.

Please have a look at the follow situation:
1. A Blogger sets up a new Blog (not a tec-guy!)
2. He founds a plugin that he loves, bought it, installs it
3. He founds some other plugins (GPL) installs them, too

2 month later:
4. There are several updates for all plugins and wordpress.
5. Because he uses wp2.7, he installs the new version with the auto-update
feature of wp
6. He recognizes that for some of his plugins new versions aviable and he
installs them, too.
7. He will not recognize, that there are also an update for the bought
plugin. Because he will expect, that wp would show him this information.

Maybe the blog will be hacked through the bought plugin.

How would anybody of you (or automattic) explain him, that wordpress didn't
show the version warning of his bought plugin, because he bought it? Come on
guys...

Once again: I don't want, that wp.org promotes theses plugins. I only want,
that it helps updating, because the user will expect it.

Regards,
Philip