[wp-hackers] WP Theme Directory Submission Restrictions

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 05:03:49 GMT 2008

> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3372 is related to
> that idea.

Thanks, I'll check it out.  (Sadly it seems the issue was first presented 2
years ago and still not addressed...)

> The CSS implementation of that would probably work
> pretty well if all the CSS rules were prefixed with
> page ID's and the JS implementation probably needs
> a bit more work on dependancy and loading orders/etc..

Why would IDs need to be prefixed, assuming optimization is done on a
per-page basis?

That said, having two (2) CSS files or even three (3) can sometimes be
better than having only one (1), i.e. if one is a large CSS file that's
global for the site and the other is smaller and page specific. I'm assuming
that the first one would be cached so only loaded once.

To really optimize you can use three (3); one (1) that contains everything
needed for the current page and two (2) others that are the global and page
specific ones where the global one is preloaded and then cached using the
same technicals as image preloading as described here:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5214317.html  (And
actually when I said three (3) I really meant one (1) global and then one
(1) combined and one (1) page specific CSS where you'd end up with the
latter two (2) for each page on a site.)

Of course the three CSS file optimization adds significant complexity and
could only be viable if somehow built int WP core. FWIW.

-Mike