[wp-hackers] WP Theme Directory Submission Restrictions

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Oct 6 14:51:25 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't agree, just as I don't agree that all proper C programs ought
> to have all of their code in a single .c file with nary a #include to
> be found.  CSS is coding, thus modularization and code reuse are just
> as valid in its context as they are in Java, PHP, C, et al.
>
> I don't want to include the contents of my reset.css in every stinking
> CSS doc that I author.  It's inefficient, it's messy and it leads to
> all sorts of nastiness down the road.

We're talking about a WordPress theme here, not an desktop application.

While I agree with your general theory on code reuse and
modularization, I'm extremely hard pressed to think of a legitimate
case for this in the very specific context of a WordPress theme. WP
themes are not that complex, in general, nor do they need to be. When
I see a theme with multiple CSS files (or god help me, a "style.php"),
then I'm inclined to think that somebody is trying way, way too hard.

-Otto