[wp-hackers] Proposal: standardize plugin-data path

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 1 17:50:04 GMT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> Okay, so we add WP_UPLOADS_URL also.  And/or WP can figure it out
> automatically by subtracting the web root from WP_UPLOADS_DIR

Still doesn't help, the URL is hard-coded in the post. You'd need to
add a filter to the_content and search/replace the URL.

> Which doesn't work in the example I described -- copying the live database
> to a test setup.  If I have to activate different plugins it complicates
> things.

Finally, a use for the my-hacks.php file!

If you have enabled my-hacks support, then you can put anything you
like in that file and it'll load just before every plugin. No need to
enable squat.

> A CONSTANT override for the uploads folder is every bit as useful as an
> override for wp-content, which we already have.  :)

I disagree, it just makes things harder for plugin developers, and to
no real benefit for anybody else.

-Otto