[wp-hackers] A question about theme updates in WP 2.7

Krusty Ruffle krustyruffle at rustykruffle.com
Sun Nov 23 03:19:07 GMT 2008

Hmm, I think I'm not being clear.

I have:

themes:
   classic
   default
   sandbox
   {several sandbox child themes}

I also have a plugin that checks for tweaks.css file in the root of the
current theme, if it is there it gets queued for inclusion into the head
section of a page. I use tweaks.css to make minor adjustments in themes, and
to help with making various plugins match the theme better as many plugins
are styled for the default theme and do not fit well in some other themes.

I could make a grandchild theme for the child themes and modify css there,
but that won't work. Really this one file is a pretty easy fix... but if a
theme gets updated and loses it's tweaks.css file then that would be bad.

Another thing I like about this solution is that it works with the theme
switcher reloaded plugin, I can put small tweaks files in each directory and
it works for users who have swiched to a different theme.

I had also assumed that child themes could be hosted at the theme repository
and that there was a chance that a child theme could also be automatically
updated. If this is not the case then that makes my problem much smaller,
but I should still look into trying to find a solution.

Thanks again for the help :)