[wp-hackers] Help with adding extra data into a post

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Wed Nov 19 15:08:45 GMT 2008

Alex Hempton-Smith wrote:
> This is actually exactly what I want to do in a plugin I'm planning, but the
> custom-fields interface put me off - how do you create a custom box and then
> save that data in a custom-field?

There's a fairly complete example of the hooks for creating a custom
section on post edit screens in the add_meta_box documentation:
     http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_meta_box

As far as saving the data in a custom field, you'll need:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_post_meta
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/update_post_meta

You also asked about AJAX:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/AJAX_in_Plugins

Hope this helps,
     Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX