[wp-hackers] Customizing TinyMCE in 2.7

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Mon Nov 10 16:04:44 GMT 2008

Yea, definitely use the hooks. They were all moved to post.php into a
wp_tiny_mce function making the Javascript inline. From what I can
tell there were several reasons from bug fixes and the need to make a
stripped down version of the editor. The important hooks are there and
haven't really changed that much.

There is a nice big tiny_mce_before_init ( and teeny_mce_before_init )
filter that caries an array of all the TinyMCE init options.  There is
also a mce_external_plugins  filter for TinyMCE plugins that cover
adding the JS necessary for external plugins. Andrew Ozz set this up
pretty nicely, so a lot of the heavy lifting is done by WordPress.