[wp-hackers] Kinda OT: Setting up a SVN server under Windows

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Nov 6 14:55:24 GMT 2008

I personally prefer running it through apache myself, even locally.
Yes, performance blah blah.. Look, if you're doing so many changes
that performance is suddenly that big of an issue, you're not checking
in often enough. ;)

Anyway, quick guide to SVN server on XAMPP:
1. Have a running XAMPP install.
2. Get a copy of latest SVN apache binaries from
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100
3. Extract it, and copy mod_dav_svn.so into your XAMPP's Apache
modules install. Overwrite the existing one.
4. Add this to your httpd.conf file for Apache: "LoadModule
dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so". It may already be in there,
commented out.
5. Make a directory somewhere where you will store your repositories.
Anywhere is good. Let's say it's c:\svnrepos.
6. At the end of the httpd.conf, add this:
<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNPath c:/svnrepos
</Location>
The /svn is the URL path. This will create http://localhost/svn as the
base path of your repositories.
7. Restart Apache.

Everything else is pretty normal. Note that this uses no
authentication at all, so anybody can check in stuff. Adding
authentication is not difficult either, but for a local repo, who
cares?

-Ott