[wp-hackers] Post/Page "Types"?

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Sun Nov 2 01:40:07 GMT 2008

I read this thread on Drupal vs. WordPress with some interest (for
sites needing custom content types beyond Posts and Pages). I say: use
the right tool for the job at hand, and I use both Drupal and
WordPress, depending on the job.

If I need to build a site for a client whose content and taxonomy is
close to the WordPress paradigm (Pages, Posts, Links, Media,
Categories, Tags), then I will use WordPress, mostly because it's much
simpler/cheaper to set up and much easier for the site owner to figure
out how to use.

But if I need to build a site that needs many multi-field content
types, whose content needs to be displayed in a variety of ways
(lists, tables, filters/searches, etc.), or that needs taxonomies
beyond Categories and Tags, I would choose Drupal. It's not that you
can't coerce WordPress into doing things beyond its standard paradigm,
but why not use a system that's designed to handle customization from
the bottom up, and whose modules (CCK/Views/Taxonomy) make it
relatively easy to customize?

The only drawback to this approach is that you have to become an
expert in both Drupal and WordPress in order to satisfy all your
clients. The plus side to that is that you get to become a
contributing member of two open-source communities. :)

Just my 2 cents...
     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX