[wp-hackers] Inline Documentation Effort was a Failure

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Wed May 28 02:09:28 GMT 2008

Otto wrote:
> PHP's ability to ignore comments is *extremely* fast, and it's highly
> unlikely that you'd notice any performance difference whatsoever.
>
> You'd get a *lot* more speed benefits out of a PHP opcode cache on the
> server than you ever would with comment removal.

Agreed. My thought was for download size. WP uses a lot of small
functions. If we document each one, it could add 50% to the size of the
codebase. No need for every user to download all that extra weight.

It would be a toss up between the hassle of maintaining the comment
stripping code, which would undoubtedly introduce bugs at some point,
and the bandwidth / server load / etc cost of everyone downloading the
comments.

As an aside, if we introduced some sort of "build" process, we could
potentially pack / compact / etc our javascript files. Might allow for a
performance boost.

Cheers - Callum.