[wp-hackers] Modern Hello Dolly for your review

Tom Ransom automattic.713k at tomransom.com
Mon May 26 16:44:52 GMT 2008

Risking considerable flames, I am positing a "modern" Hello Dolly plug-
in.

I have been working on developing WP plugins for clients and like
most, learned by opening and reviewing other's plugins. The first plug-
in we all look at is Hello Dolly. But Hello Dolly hasn't changed much
since Matt first released it. (and why should it?)

I took a few moments this week to put together a "modern" Hello Dolly
plug-in that others could use a template.  Some of the features include:
- Object-oriented class architecture (with PHP4/PHP5 construct/destruct)
- Tests that functions have been defined for executing them
- Tests that the class was successful constructed
    i.e. shouldn't break WordPress if the API were to change in the
future (a best practice?)

I am posting this for your comments. I recently finished another
plugin using these coding practices and was looking for a peer code
review. I thought that Hello Dolly would be a perfect place to get
feedback from long-time WordPress hackers on use of classes and coding
(and documentation?) best practices.

I am attaching Hello Dolly, but on the chance that the mailing list
engine strips attachments - I am also posting it at http://1bigidea.com/blog/wordpress

Thanks, and I am really looking forward to your feedback after this
(U.S.) holiday weekend.

regards,
Tom Ransom
1bigidea.com