[wp-hackers] PHP IDEs

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Fri May 23 20:51:11 GMT 2008

Otto wrote (at Inline Documentation Effort was a Failure)

> I believe this might be because many of the core developers do not use
> a full fledged IDE for developing PHP code. This is just a guess on my
> part, but a lot of the people I know who edit PHP use editors that are
> essentially little more than text editors with syntax coloring.
>
> I've recently starting using the Eclipse PDT for editing and creating
> PHP projects, and find that use of full out IDEs like this makes it
> not only much easier to add inline documentation, but it gives you a
> valid reason to do so as well. When looking at code, having the
> ability to simply put the cursor over a function call and see that
> documentation pop up in a biggish tooltip is extremely handy and kind
> of makes you want to document your own functions correctly.
>
> Perhaps if the devs try using some of these sort of IDEs, some
> progress can be made on this front? Having Eclipse PDT with the
> Subclipse plugin to pull directly from the SVN is extremely handy and
> neat to play with.
>
> -Otto

Can someone name any great (PHP-)IDE's which aren't running on java (but
work on windows)? Open Source would of course be prefered but I don't care
paying for good tools.

Eclipse is a nice IDE but in fact I never got it running very performant and
thats why I don't even considere using an IDE for coding php.
Maybe an IDE which runns fast and without using many resources would make me
change my mind...