[wp-hackers] On Subversion and 2.5.x-alpha not being in Trunk

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:50:55 GMT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:33 PM, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:

> Looking back over the commit logs, /branches/ has allways been latest code
> for a set branch, its never been static between builds, So i'm not sure
> where the original suggestion that /branches/2.3/ or /branches/2.2/ were
> constantly stable.

I work with several other projects that use Subversion and I think my
mind is confusing them. I honestly thought /branches/xx always
contained the latest stable release. I stand corrected!

What I would ideally like is a place the latest stable release in a
particular branch can be chcked out from, up to and including the
current branch. This allows a blog to run on the latest stable
release, but also allows you control in that a blog will stay on a
particular branch until such time you want to switch it to a brand new
branch release (in the case of 2.3 -> 2.5, it means you can
update/test plugins and themes before doing so).

It may go against the prinicple of tags but could 2.5.x trunk
development be put into something like /tags/2.5-trunk and leave
stable releases in /branches/2.5 ?

>>> http://phpflickr.com/