[wp-hackers] Possible to remove elements of 2.5 admin?

Jeremy Clarke jer-wphackers at simianuprising.com
Mon May 12 18:49:34 GMT 2008

Thanks Viper, though that does the same thing as having it in the
footer, but lets me put it in the header (which is good :). I still
have to wait for the list to load before the boxes dissappear (happens
at the same time as the media icons/visual editor pop in).

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Viper007Bond <viper at viper007bond.com> wrote:
> jQuery(document).ready(function() { jQuery('#yourelement').remove(); }
>

>  On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Jeremy Clarke <
>  jer-wphackers at simianuprising.com> wrote:
>
>  > @ Jeremy Visser: That video is hilarious and informative, thank you.
>  >
>  > @ Ozh: Thanks a lot, that is a very useful one-liner that will fix the
>  > plugin for now.
>  >
>  > However, I have to run the js AFTER the #categorydiv has already
>  > loaded (i put it in admin_footer). Is there some way I can have it be
>  > removed before/as it is loaded, so that the browser never even gets
>  > it?
>  >
>  > As it is our long category list (all countries, tons of topics and
>  > tons of languages) actually causes a long wait as it is loaded, which
>  > is felt as seeing the top of the page (including the sidebar which
>  > actually comes first in the HTML) but waiting for the #categorydiv to
>  > load before you can see the bottom (and before the
>  > editor/media-buttons resolve fully with their js). With the CSS and
>  > Jquery to turn off the div once it's loaded this means a long wait
>  > with nothing to show in the end. In our specific case we also have the
>  > tags div turned off through CSS because we just don't use tags, which
>  > I think adds to the time spent floundering just below the post box but
>  > before the 'advanced options'.
>  >
>  > I tried actually removing the tags and categories blocks from
>  > wp-admin/edit-form-advanced.php and the whole write page sped up like
>  > crazy and behaved how I would expect despite the fact that the one
>  > sidebar instance of the categories still existed.
>  >
>  > Thoughts? It still makes sense to me to use the metaboxes api for the
>  > default metaboxes. Having a way to fully remove unwanted elements
>  > makes more sense than faking it with js and css (not to mention the
>  > maintenance nightmare of using content scraping as was done in the
>  > past). It would also make it easier to do little things like move the
>  > tags into 'advanced' without actually changing anything about the
>  > metabox itself. We love it with the widgets, and so far I'm loving it
>  > with the Dashboard Widgets, why not the write panel too?
>  >
>  > --
>  > Jeremy Clarke | http://simianuprising.com
>  > Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org

>  >

>  --
>  Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/

Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org