[wp-hackers] Changing the clock format in Write > Post

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed May 7 13:12:16 GMT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Dan Coulter <dan at dancoulter.com> wrote:
>  The problem with fixing daylight saving time (or summer time, or what have
>  you) is that every country does it differently.  As someone pointed out,
>  people in the UK won't be using a localization, so they'd get US daylight
>  saving time, which this year was about 3 weeks apart.  I imagine that most
>  of Europe works the same way, but there's no guarantee.  I'd hate to code
>  and maintain summer time rules for every country in the world.

Fortunately, you don't have to maintain the rules yourself. It's
already been done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoneinfo

I am currently working on a plugin to handle daylight savings time
nicely. Basically, you pick your closest city in the same timezone
(America/Chicago, for me). Then it works it out by itself.

-It works perfectly for PHP 5.1+ right now, all systems.
-It is possible to make it work on modern Linux systems that run PHP 4
also (still working on that bit).
-I don't see any way to do it with Windows boxes running PHP 4, but I
can detect that case and have the plugin tell you that it will not
function.

If the plugin is well received, perhaps I'll make a patch to integrate
it into the core.

-Otto