[wp-hackers] bbPress integration: merge forum topics into Wordpress Loop

Chanpory Rith hello at chanpory.com
Tue May 6 20:15:13 GMT 2008

Hey everyone.

I'm new to this list and a novice PHP coder, but I wanted to share
some code I've been working on.

The goal is to enable bbPress moderators to "promote" a topic to show
up in a Wordpress loop. Clicking on the permalink of the bbPress topic
within the Wordpress loop, will take you directly to bbPress topic
page. Any changes made to topic on the bbPress side would also show up
automatically in the loop. (There is a similar functionality in
Drupal, and I was considering migrating my Wordpress blog to Drupal,
but it turned out to be huge pain.)

My approach was to take advantage of the "sticky" functionality in
bbPress. The idea is to retrieve "super sticky" topics from the
bbPress database tables, and merge it into an array of Wordpress
posts. Then, use foreach to create a custom loop which displays the
combined list of Wordpress and bbPress posts. From a user's
perspective, you would simply click the "Stick topic (to front)" in
bbPress to promote the topic to Wordpress.

So far, I've been successful in modifying the index.php file for the
Classic theme to achieve this functionality. There is some pagination
issues, but it seems to be working fairly well so far.

I'm not sure if it could be turned into a plugin or not. I've attached
what I have so far as a text file. The code assumes the latest
versions of bbPress and Wordpress, and that bbPress was installed with
Wordpress integration enabled. Also, the tables for bbPress and
Wordpress are in the same database.

Any suggestions for streamlining or improving this would be greatly
appreciated: