[wp-hackers] Changing the clock format in Write > Post

Daniel Torreblanca regulatethis at gmail.com
Sun May 4 16:57:34 GMT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM, MLR <mlrichard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Daniel for working on a patch.
>
>  I think this issue is coming up because of how WordPress 2.5+ has made the
>  ability to schedule posts much easier to find and use. The fact that it is
>  only displayed in one format will bring the issue to the forefront.

Cool :)

So what do you all think at this point? Ozh made a suggestion on the
trac ticket that I really liked, making this a global option that can
be overridden by a user if so desired. It seems like a more elegant
way of doing this, but I'm not sure if I really understand the way the
logic would need to change to support that. Aside from less records in
the db, what other advantages would doing this have? The code would
remain the same for the most part, and maybe even slightly more
complicated (this is an assumption, I imagine that coding for a new
global option + per user overrides would be more involved than a
single user option, correct me if I'm wrong :) )

> Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel on this one about core vs. plugin. On one
> hand most of the world uses a 24 hour clock and it doesn't take a rocket
> scientist to use it, but on the other hand there are some really math
> challenged people and I know for a fact that a large percentage of WP users
> use a 12 hour clock in their day to day life.

I agree with this, but I'd also point out that even though some of us
find it easy to read/set a 24-hour clock, pretty much EVERYONE knows
how to read/set a 12-hour clock. This is one of the big reasons why
I'd do this is an option in core. Sure, it might be slightly quicker
to set 24-hour time (no messing with AM/PM dropdowns), but for someone
who doesn't want to bother with the conversion, the option would be
handy.

As far as tackling the daylight savings issue while we're at it, I
think that'd be a great idea but I don't know where to start. If
anyone has any insight here I'd be happy to take a crack at it. In
creating the time format patch I already found and fixed another small
bug (http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6911) so I'm in a pretty nice
groove :).