[wp-hackers] Plugin Version Increments

Aaron Harun admin at anthologyoi.com
Sat May 3 14:38:55 GMT 2008

Usually if a script has a version less than 1.0, it is assumed that it
is still "beta" and may go boom.

Other than that it is up to you. Usually going from 1.0 -> 2.0 signals
a large change, 1.0 -> 1.5 signals a medium change, 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 is
usually something fairly small. It is very arbitrary and usually is
used however the dev wants to use it, but be consistent within your
own project. Don't go from 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2.3 to 1.7 to 3.14.

Right now for one of my larger projects I'm using 1.(major revision
number).(minor revision). The major revisions are consecutive odd
numbers and the minor are consecutive counting numbers.