[wp-hackers] Admin AJAX call with 404 error

Andy Staines andy at yellowswordfish.com
Wed Mar 26 10:33:56 GMT 2008

On 26 Mar 2008, at 08:21AM, Sören Weber wrote:
> Thanks for your replies. The address for the ajax call is correct.
> As I
> said, _sometimes_ the AJAX call works and _sometimes_ a 404 error is
> returned - on the same blog!
>
> I've only seen this error once on my own WP test installation but it
> seems
> to happen quite often for some of the Exec-PHP users. We already
> tried to
> nail it down to interfering third party plugins but the 404 error
> still
> occured once all other plugins in the blog were disabled.
>
> I doubt that the 404 error was generated by the web server because
> in this
> case wp-admin/admin-ajax.php should have been temporarily missing in
> the
> file system?!? So at the moment I am searching for cases were
> WordPress
> itself generates a 404 in case of AJAX calls on the admin site.

A very small number of my users are experiencing what sounds like a
similar problem (although in my case I use 'ahah') and it is happening
on both the front and back ends. Every call results in a 404. So far
we have established the following:

	- The URLS to the php code file in the call are 100% accurate.
	- The php code files being called ARE actually actioned.
	- This only happens with any permalink structure. Use none/default
and it behaves.
	- Trace it with WireShark and the resultant HTML from the AHAH call
IS returned.
	- Watch it in Firebug and there is the resultant HTML shown in
Firebug but on the screen above is a 404 report!
	- There appears to be no common denominator in terms of server/
versions/plugins/themes/php etc.
	- As above, this is not a conflict with another plugin - it is
something coming from the WP code (all on 2.3.x)

And it is driving me and 7 users nuts!
If anyone has any clues as to what is causing this the information
would be welcomed.
Andy