[wp-hackers] Caching in core? (was: Caching in 2.5: anyone has a file-based caching plugin?)

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Mon Mar 24 21:41:50 GMT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 6:29 AM, Thomas Bukowski wrote:
> I was thinking of submitting a gsoc proposal on something cache-
> related. Paint me ambitious, but I think there can be a cache
> solution that is acceptable for core inclusion. Obviously database-
> backed caching is the only kind that will be support on *all*
> deployments of WP.

Brian Layman and I are going to be mentoring this project for GSoC.
Andy Skelton mentioned that he might have some code or ideas to
contribute as well.  I think it's definitely time for there to be some
level of built-in output caching.  Everyone has their day on Digg et
al, and I'm personally tired of seeing those WP sites go down until
such time as the author can install a output caching plugin.  We can
do better.  The downsides of caching (i.e. dealing with hyper-dynamic
content and managing expirations) will be greatly blunted when the
output caching framework is in WP core.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/