[wp-hackers] Re: GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Ronald Heft ron at cavemonkey50.com
Mon Mar 24 18:41:09 GMT 2008

I'm a little confused by your explanation of how my implementation of OpenID
could allow for spoof-able comments, but don't worry about re-explaining as
I'm forgoing that implementation.
I completely agree with you about requiring registration for OpenID
comments. I have been testing existing OpenID plugins this morning, and
every single one of them links OpenID comments to registration. There is no
reason why an OpenID comment needs an account. This is certainly one area
where a new plugin could improve in.

Regarding adding the server code for each user, again, I completely agree.
Users should have the option of allowing WordPress to be their OpenID
server, or point their account to an existing OpenID delegate.

Regarding a separate field, yet again, I'm right there with you. Using the
existing URI field is a bad interface. A separate field that switches place
with the anonymous fields using a Javascript toggle would be the best method
for using OpenID.

So, I'm now thinking a better plugin may be the best way to go about OpenID
support. As you mentioned earlier Otto, the current set of OpenID plugins,
while robust, are not widely adopted. Perhaps a different
plugin implementation may spark more OpenID adoption among WordPress users.
If that occurs, core inclusion could be looked at later down the road.

If I should go about developing another OpenID plugin, here is how it would
differ from existing plugins:

1. Allow for anonymous OpenID commenting without registration
2. Provide a separate field for anonymous OpenID comments, and don't utilize
the URI field like existing plugins do
3. Include an OpenID server for all registered WordPress users.
4. Provide an option for a user to delegate a third party OpenID provider
instead of using the built in server

Looking through current OpenID plugins, no plugin to date allows anonymous
OpenID commenting and there is no implementation of an OpenID server outside
of WordPress MU. There two areas would strongly benefit from an alternative
plugin.

In addition, working on a plugin instead of core support would
most definitely allow me to provide support for using WordPress as an OpenID
server. A plugin would give me the whole summer to add support and work out
the bugs, while core support would limit me to mid-summer for core
consideration.

What's everyone's opinion on developing an alternative plugin instead of
core support? Are there any features you feel are missing / should be
developed differently in current plugin implementations of OpenID?