[wp-hackers] Caching in core? (was: Caching in 2.5: anyone has a file-based caching plugin?)

Thomas Bukowski wordpress at neodude.net
Sun Mar 23 10:29:24 GMT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 2:30 AM, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi wrote:

> He says he'll be releasing it soon. If I don't hear back from him,
> I'll take it on as another caching project to add to the family, if
> y'all like.

I was thinking of submitting a gsoc proposal on something cache-
related. Paint me ambitious, but I think there can be a cache solution
that is acceptable for core inclusion. Obviously database-backed
caching is the only kind that will be support on *all* deployments of
WP.

It wouldn't be too difficult to write an db-object-cache.php that
would serialize objects and put them into the database. Another way to
do it is to store snippets of HTML, from comments, posts and the like.

Actually - caching can (should?) be integrated into the core, as
suggested by the "Integrated Caching Solutions" gsoc idea. Right now,
it consists of dumping files here and there. Instead, WP could ship
with 1) an admin interface (under "Settings") to enable/disable
caching, select caching type (db, memcached, etc) and configure these
caches; 2) a default caching mechanism - most likely, a db-backed one.

Caching, I think, is a fairly crucial component of WP. A default
caching method would raise the traffic a vanilla WP blog can take. I
suppose there could also be a more official structure for all the
plugins out there to plug into (pun not intended) - not just the the
object cache as is now, but also an admin interface.

Is this worth pursuing?

Sorry for hijacking the thread; I hope Stephane/everyone doesn't mind!