[wp-hackers] Automatic textdomain append for plugins

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Mon Mar 10 15:46:43 GMT 2008

Although I am a strong i18n advocate, plugin internationalization[0]
has always driven me back, because I had to add textdomain to every
gettext call.

Developers, they say, are lazy, so I thought of a way not to do this
any more. The result was the add-textdomain.php script:

php add-textdomain.php shareadraft.php shareadraft

This call adds 'shareadraft' as a last argument to all gettext calls
in shareadraft.php and prints the modified php file on standard
output. It makes sure it doesn't add the argument twice, so it is good
for incremental usage.

The script is available in the wordpress0i18n repo:

http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/tools/trunk/add-textdomain.php

Happy hacking,
Nikolay.

[0] http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin#Internationalizing_Your_Plugin