[wp-hackers] Internationalizing Plugins and Themes Solutions

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Thu Mar 6 16:02:42 GMT 2008

Anirudh Sanjeev wrote:
> I believe that the most appropriate way will involve having all the
> translators not edit one file.
>
> I'd suggest along with the pot files, a seperate text file, like
> desc-(langcode).txt can hold the descritption, which can safely be checked
> and read from without touching the plugin.

None of the solutions involve editing just one file, unless you mean the
.pot file to create the .mo file, then in that case you would be correct.

I would rather work within the tools that exist now then having a lot of
desc-[locale].txt files. You would have to create a whole new API for
extracting the multibyte characters from the file. I would just as
rather use the translate API, which two of the three involve and the
third involves just allowing the user to download the metadata in their
language from the WordPress Plugin Repository.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.