[wp-hackers] Re: The fixed with of the admin area

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Mar 5 13:52:30 GMT 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:49 AM, Viper007Bond wrote:

> Sorry, but you're incorrect. All of my non-plain text e-mails are
> full width
> (and I prefer it that way). wp-hackers, etc. all just add line
> breaks at X
> characters which is why you're mistaken.
>
> If I wanted to scroll a lot, I'd run a lower resolution.
>

>> But the fact is, after a width of around 1000 px, it starts to get a
>> little
>> difficult to work around with.
>
> Then don't run a wide resolution...
>
> (I'm not trying to be an ass BTW, just saying it comes down to
> personal
> choice and tastes and out of the box, WordPress is forcing it's upon
> me.)

Respectfully, Viper, I think the gist of this conversation is that
_you_ are the exception to the rule.  The vast majority of humans have
difficulty reading very long lines of text.  (Unless it's only one
line, in which case there's no problem with confusing which line
you're on!)

You're right, it _is_ personal preference, however the guideline with
WP tends to be "make it work for most, and everyone else can use
plugins".  So... a simple "make this full width" plugin, and/or the
previously suggested "max width" alternate stylesheet.

The alternate stylesheet is the most elegant solution, as it is
invisible to people who don't need it.  (Which is most.)

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>