[wp-hackers] Discussion about Optional Closing PHP tags in the WordPress Library

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Fri Jun 20 12:24:46 GMT 2008

It was long, but not entirely pointless. I'll shorten it for you.

1. Coding Standards exist for consistency, even if they are consistency
wrong.

2. Debating Coding Standards is like debating Politics, what it comes
down to is a matter of preference.

Matt Mullenweg is the person you should be talking to. Email the guy and
try to convince him. You might be a better at getting your points
across, than I was. I'm willing to bet that he won't change the coding
standard based off of the amount of end users facing this problem. He
has changed his mind before, so it is possible.

I would explain further, but it might become "pointless", so I'm just
going to say that if you reply, don't a reply from me explaining the two
points. You should do research or you should debate the subject with
Matt. The answer might come to you then.

I will leave with an example. My personal set of coding standards for
brackets, is that every curly bracket is on its own line. The reason I
do this is because I've been burned before trying to find the missing
opening or closing bracket and it is easier for me to just scroll up and
down and match the two. For WordPress, the opening curly bracket rests
is not on its own line. I do not apply my person coding standards when I
write patches for WordPress, I use the WordPress set of Coding
Standards. Do I always agree, no, but I realize the purpose of Coding
Standards and do it their way.

Jacob Santos