[wp-hackers] Plugins "update not checked"interface

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Jun 12 13:02:40 GMT 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 12:19 AM, DD32 wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:02:48 +1000, Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com
> > wrote:
>> Here's a test screenshot.  The top three plugins have a different
>> version:
>>
>> http://striderweb.com/wp-content/docs/no-updates.png
>
> At present, The plugins page has been seperated into 2 groups:
> Active, And Inactive plugins...; as a result of that, The Status
> column was removed.
>
> A row underneath the plugin saying "This plugin isnt checked for
> updated" looks messy....

> Having an extra column with the update information is kind of
> anoying....
>
> So that still leaves the question, What is left to actually show the
> plugin is not checked?
>
> Maybe a paragraph at the top or bottom of the page:
> "The following plugins cannot be automatically checked for updates,
> or upgraded automatically as they are not hosted on WordPress.org:
> <strong>Plugin 1, Testers Plugin 2, My In-development plugin 3</
> strong>"
>
> Or maybe the text "<i>Cannot check for updates</i>" under the plugin
> name?

DD32 -- Good suggestion at the end there.  Beyond that, you're reading
my mind. :)

Okay, here's another screenshot.  I don't have great vision, so I am
normally against shrinking text; but it occurred to me that because
this is a message that will repeat frequently and won't likely change
much, there is no real harm in doing so.

Also, per DD32, I've removed the Status column, and I widened the
Plugin Name column a bit:

http://striderweb.com/wp-content/docs/no-updates2.png

I'm definitely liking the notice in the version column.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>