[wp-hackers] New gears stuff

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Tue Jul 8 18:47:06 GMT 2008

Otto wrote:
> I noticed in the new Gears manifest that a lot of the paths to the
> GIFs and such are hardcoded. Is there any particular reason that we're
> not generating that code on the fly, much like it is the javascript
> stuff? Seems like it wouldn't be difficult to do a quick recursive
> search through a few directories and find all the images and such in
> there, eh?

When Gears is enabled, the gears-manifest.php is checked quite often for
changes/updates. It's also set to no-cache headers, so it's always fresh
from the server.

Since all images in WordPress don't change often at all, hard-coding the
URLs saves some disk I/O on the server.

Generating the list of scripts and css files accesses only couple more
of php files (script-loader, etc.) and is a lot cheaper.